CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Well I'm Hot-Blooded, check it and see, I've got a fever of One Hundred and three, c'mon baby do you do more than dance?


Thank goodness I don't actually have a fever, that would make this break suck significantly more. I just gotta get through to July, assuming I get into BADA (breaks into: "God, I hope I get It") don't let anybody tell you differently, but EVERY musical is _A Chorus Line_. Anyway, I do have a lot of drawings that I could be posting up here but, alas, I am nowhere near a scanner...nor did I bring them with me to work.

Speaking of work at least some notes of significance as far as books are concerned: The Escapists by Brian K. Vaughan, he's kind of the "It" man right now but as far as graphic novels go this one is pretty rocking. It's sort of the spin-off of the spin-off, I know it sounds like it could be potentially really crappy, if it were in anybody else's hands besides his I would say it would not have reached the same potential. But as it lays it's awesome, a really nice look at the sort of modern psyche that goes into the making of comic books particularly in relation to global conglomerates. The artwork is very nice, very polished and since it's BKV the dialogue is very fluid.

Next I am also reading, Luba in America I decided to give it a go since I read Heartbreak Soup awhile ago as part of a class. As far as the "plot" goes if I thought HS was a little incongruous this book is even more, not exactly a bad thing especially since Gilber Hernandez makes sure you are able to note changes in time by the physical appearance of characters which he does very well in making significantly different. I think the part I like the best really are all of the stories featuring and narrated by Venus. As my manager put it, it's little me, I make no pretense of arguing against that point when I was younger I was definitely called "Miss Priss" for a reason...

Another book I recently purchased has been Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know by Paul Gravette this book seems to be a good stepping-off point if you're interested in finding graphic novels/comic books that have more of a literary focus. I really loved his introduction to the book because he addressed the Graphic Novel vs. Comic Book question right away and I think made a very solid argument for graphic novels as a term. I still need to finish reading it, but so far the analysis of books I've already read seems to be relevant and helpful so if you're looking to get someone into the medium or want more of a reference point this is the book I'd suggest.

Also, on a semi-related topic I watched American Splendor last night and I really liked it. I remained sceptical for the first 45 minutes of it but then it grew on me (or possibly kicked in like an anti-depressant) and I had a really good time watching it. I liked the fact that Harvey Pekar acknowledged his many different variations and they showed this by having a lot of different "talking" sketches of him, then Paul Giamatti playing the bulk of the "plot" , and then on top of that Pekar himself showed up fairly randomly to commentate himself. It was a good time. I particularly enjoyed the actor who played R. Crumb who at one point or another was signing an autograph for some buxom fan and then hopped on her back. It was a nice touch, I think even more enjoyable for me since I had watched the documentary Crumb just last semester as part of my Graphic Novel class.

So with those and the mass amount of novels I'm reading (Master & Margarita, Hard Times, Brave New World, to name a few) PLUS the piles and piles and PILES of plays (Laramie Project, How I Learned to Drive, Happy Days, Maj. Barbara, Caucasian Chalk Circle, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Fat Pig, Machinal, Closer, Distance from Here, Oleanna, 5 Women Wearing the Same Dress...and on, and on, and on) I would say I'm doing pretty good for my reading quota. I'm going to visit my "twin" Sunny in NJ tonight and I swear I'm just psyched for the three good solid hours at least of reading potential. I live such a wonderfully pathetic Literary life, don't get me wrong...I love every minute of it! (Umm, PS how cool is it that I got a pic of Trekkie and Kate Monster reading? Yeah...I'm a nerd, I'll get over it)

0 comments: